Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Fabulous Funerals

I enjoy funerals. Many people, in fact probably most people, hate them so much they go out of their way to avoid them. But before you decide that I must be some kind of heartless sick-o who seeks pleasure at the expense of the bereaved, allow me to explain.

Nobody ever gets up during a funeral to say a few words and belts out, “Wow. What a bastard!” Speeches always focus on how wonderful the person was, what he/she accomplished, and his/her influences and legacies. It’s hard to listen to these kind of stories and memories without thinking, “Wow. What an amazing life.” They give you perspective of your own life and may even inspire you to achieve your goals and dreams that you’ve been ignoring.

I most certainly appreciate the grief that people feel at these events. Loss is one of my greatest fears, especially the loss of someone I love. But it’s at these most painful low points in our lives where greatness begins. The most prominent life-changing moments in my life have been when I’ve come face to face with a loss.

So there you are at a funeral, possibly at the one of the most pivot moment in your life, and you hear speech after speech of how wonderful the recently deceased was. How can you not think this is wonderful moment? Painful? Yes. Difficult? Definitely. But the best things in life are never easy.


No comments:

Post a Comment