Sunday, October 21, 2012

Are You Ready for Some Football?

I admit it, I like watching football (American football). In fact, it’s probably the only sport that I do like to watch, and this is coming from someone who’s been a runner for the past 20 years. Most running is about as entertaining to watch as watching the natural progression of tooth decay. But football, watching oversized humanoids bash their bodies into submission just to get an inflated pig’s bladder down a field, now that’s entertainment. And apparently a few people agree, considering it’s the most popular sport in America – according to their website, the NFL generates about ten BILLION dollars a year. That number alone practically makes my nose bleed. I told you it was a violent sport.

I’ve read in several places how American football is so amazingly popular in America because the sport caters toward the overweight. Without their uniforms and padding, a typical football lineup resembles a fat camp with a few more tattoos. And only thing scarier than meeting these big boys down a dark alley is meeting up with their fans, who can easily outweigh the players. Football fandom is a sport in itself, requiring chips, pretzels, beer, ridiculous clothing, and accessories that may or may not compare the opposing team with a box of truffles without the nuts. A good screaming voice is also imperative, regardless if you’re actually at the game or not. To this day, my mom – who is one of the sweetest, loving people I know – is undoubtedly the queen of yelling at the TV every Sunday during football season. And the things she would say… well, I’m just glad those tender gentlemen in uniform can’t hear her.

Anyhow, I guess my point is football is entertaining. So turn on the tube, snap open a beer, and yell away.

No comments:

Post a Comment