Monday, August 20, 2012

School's Back

Today was the first day of school for thousands of kids in my section of the country. My kids actually started last week and already my son’s missed days of school from catching a cold from another kid in school. Yippee. Like most people, I have mixed feelings about my memories of school growing up. I miss it and thank God that I’m done. The tests, the friends, the homework, the novelties, the smell of freshly sharpened pencils, the rankness of gyms and locker rooms, the bagged lunches, the frustrations and pressures from kids with more confidence, the music, the sports, the reading, the notes, the school bells… ugg, I get tired of just typing it all out. Yet, man how I miss it. For those of you who are school teachers, like my wife, I certainly feel immense pity and respect for having to face this repeatedly like a real life Groundhog’s Day. Since my wife is a teacher, I have the wonderful displeasure of reliving the hell of Prom every year as a chaperone. Apparently since I failed at it when I was in high school, I get to relive this atrocious experience year after year after year. Fun, fun, fun.

In any case, I wish all the kids out there all the luck. They’re certainly going to need it. And to kick things off, here’s some of my odd sense of school-related humor:



No comments:

Post a Comment