Saturday, August 18, 2012

A Brazzle Dazzle Pete's Dragon


My son and I were watching Disney’s “Pete’s Dragon” yesterday when it struck me what wonderful movie this is, wonderful because of all the terrible elements in story. You’ve got a child runaway, child abuse, truantism, alcoholism, stereotyping, medical malpractice, herd mentality, kidnapping, loss of a loved one - just to name a few. Yet it’s told in such a fun-loving way, these horrendous elements are actually palatable for adults and kids. It reminds of me many of those happy-negative songs from the sixties with bouncy, foot-tapping melodies and lyrics like, “Ain’t no time to wonder why. Whoopie! We’ll all going to die!”

For “Pete’s Dragon”, this happy slant on these awful experiences is perfectly depicted through the eyes of a young Pete. Younger kids often have this inexplicable optimism despite the atrocities they may be enduring. That’s one of the things I’ve always found wonderful about kids; regardless where they are or what situation they’re in, they always find a way to play or make a game out of their situation. Such blind optimism wavers during teen years, fizzles in early adulthood, and practically nonexistent thereafter. I guess experience has a way of telling us that tomorrow’s not always as rosy as we hope. But I’m also sure that no matter how pessimistic you’ve grown to be, there’s always something that makes you at least wish that you had a big green dragon to swoop down and take you away from the Gogans. I know I do.

1 comment:

  1. Of course, you make some excellent points. Had to think about that list of social ills in the movie, but I see it now. Medical malpractice... *chuckle*

    Now my children have you to thank that I will probably be singing "Brazzle Dazzle Day" for awhile; but I think that's better than the FISH cheer.

    ReplyDelete