Friday, August 10, 2012

The Smell of Coffee

I’m always so impressed how immediate our senses trigger the memory. I was given a coffee-flavored chocolate the other day and was struck by the following memory…

The smell of coffee brewing in the morning. I hop out of bed, my six-year-old bare feet sliding through the shag carpet in the dim, chilly light. Peeking around the corner, I see Nana at kitchen window gazing out to the early morning light, a cigarette dangling from her lips like a dying leaf. “Come on in,” her course voice calls to me without looking. Her six-sense baffles me. I join her, standing side-by-side, she still in her night gown. She turned to me, “What’d you dream?” She always knew I had one tucked away. I speak, weaving a tale of a flying boy with super-human abilities. I don’t know if she hears my story or if her mind is wondering off somewhere else as she listens to my squeaky voice. I don’t care. I give her a hug anyhow.




No comments:

Post a Comment