Friday, September 21, 2012

Friendly Little Shadows



I’ve had these friendly little shadows following me around for the last several years. Those of you who are parents can certainly relate to this, especially if one or more of your kids are often glued to your leg, walking, talking, laughing, and basically doing everything that you do. Both of my kids to some degree do this to me, but my son is far more the shadow. It’s scary sometimes when you see this little reflection of you who’s both different from you yet copying you in ways you wouldn’t expect. Most of the time, I quite enjoy it. Most of the time. Other times it’s frustrating having this being who won’t go away, especially if you’re trying to rest for a brief second or they won’t let you alone at some equally repelling moments like sitting on the toilet.

I have to keep reminding myself that I should cherish the fact that I have these friendly little shadows. I know the day’s coming when they’ll finally realize what a complete idiot I really am. And then they’ll find something or someone else to look up to. I hate to say it, but I fear this moment. Not because I don’t want them to grow up and be themselves. But because I know I’ll have to let go of the bicycle seat and let them take off down the sidewalk alone and I’m left there with just the hope that they have everything they need not to fall. I must have missed a chapter in the parenting handbook that covers how parents always seem to get the larger stake of worrying than kids.

But until then, I’ll just have to enjoy them with their aptitude toward clinging and all.

Since I’ve been sketching out comic after comic for these blog entries, my son has been cranking out a few as well. Again being the ever-present shadow. I can’t say that I totally understand the drawings. But I don’t think I have to.

Here are a few of them…

Beach Trouble



Duck Tape

Yoda

Here Comes a Zombie

No comments:

Post a Comment